Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shadow? or No Shadow?...that has been our question!

Hi there!

With Groundhog Day drawing near, we have been learning all about Punxsutawney Phil himself.  Here's a few things we've been doing this week. I started by searching for "real" images of a groundhog so my students would have an idea of what a groundhog actually looks like.



While I love creating and making my own materials, I was running short on time with Groundhog Day coming up so soon. That is when I decided to visit DLTK-Kids for ideas. Have you been to their site before? If so, you know how easily the activities can be printed and ready for use. If not, take a minute to see what all they have. You will not be disappointed!

With my younger articulation students I used these 'Groundhog's Day Bingo Dauber Coloring Pages' from DLTK-Kids. Instead of bingo daubers I used the magnetic circles that come with the Chipper Chat activity (they fit perfectly onto the circles on the coloring pages). My students love using the wand to pick up the pieces when they are finished...don't yours? The pages can be found here: http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/happy_groundhog-dauber.htm


I also have younger students working on requesting, labeling, & following directions. We were able to target all of these goals with this cute groundhog paper craft I also found from DLTK. The paper craft can be found here: http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mpapergroundhog.htm



With my students needing help with multi-syllabic words, we used the word cards below. The students were also able to use the pacing mats (top and bottom row) to help with including all syllables in the words. These word cards and placing mats can be found here at my Teachers Pay Teachers store:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Groundhog-Multi-syllabic-Words  When using these cards, I realized I did not include a pacing mat for words with more than three syllables. I apologize. If you have downloaded this file from TPT, I would love to send you a pacing mat for those words with greater than three syllables. Please send me your email and I will send you the pacing mat. :) Sorry for any inconvenience. 



Finally, with all of my students we also learned about predictions and how to make them. The chart below represents both the students who predicted we would have six more weeks of winter and those who thought it would soon be spring. Humor me with this side note :)...I'm sure you've used chart paper like that shown? Did you know they make a sticky version? It is seriously sticky at the top like a post-it note! Can't say how much I'm in love with this stuff. :) 



Hope you find these ideas helpful! I am always looking for new ideas, comments, and feedback . Thank you for taking time to stop by. Take care, 
Natalie





No comments:

Post a Comment