Thursday, February 28, 2013

Featuring: Figuratively Speeching SLP


Hi There!! It has been a while since I made a post, and I apologize for that. I thought I would start back by featuring a great Speech-Language Pathologist who is new to blogging and creating materials. She has great information and ideas to share. Read on to learn a bit more about her! 


Today I am featuring:




Jessica Schulman

When and why did you start blogging?
I started blogging in January 2013.  I handmade many of my activities for my students over the last 17 years and thought I had some creative ideas to share. 

What is your favorite population to work with?
Every time I start with a new population I think, this is what I like the best!  It changes constantly for me.  I worked with Middle School special ed students for five years, until my position was reduced at the end of last year, and I enjoyed working with them.  They have their own set of challenges, besides speech and language and academic impairments.  Hormones and social life make Middle School a challenge at times, but when you see the light go on when they learn something new, it’s worth the aggravation.  Additionally, using the curriculum from Middle School gave me the opportunity to create fun materials my students could use to assist them with comprehension of their classwork.  It is wonderful to see them being successful both in the therapy room and in their classes, and the Middle School is where I saw that the most.

How much time per week do you spend blogging and/or creating materials?
I have been spending way too much time on the Facebook page, Figuratively Speeching SLP, and not enough time blogging.  I have been spending several hours a week working on the creation of materials for my TpT store. 

What's your favorite topic to create materials for?
At this point, I don’t have a favorite.  I am new to selling and creating materials for others to use. 

What's the best thing about blogging?
Networking and creating friendships, as well as inspiring me to think more creatively again.

Do you have any blogging tips?
Write about what you like and what you know.  Have fun with it.

What is your funniest speech moment?
I had a message to call a mom of twins.  When I spoke to her, she asked what I was teaching her kids (age 2 at the time, with only a handful of words between them) because they were cursing at each other.  I had no idea what they could possibly be saying until I asked what they were playing with at the time.  “Cars and trucks,” she said.  Ahhh, the /f/ for /tr/ substitution!  So I told her they were saying “truck” and that I would work on getting a different pronunciation while I worked with them over the next few sessions.

Like what you read? Head on over to her FB page and give her a 'like.' While you are there, take a look at the great information she has written and the activities she has created. 

Thanks for stopping by! As always...take care, 
Natalie





No comments:

Post a Comment